(Video: Ov by Renana Raz and Ofer Amram)
The opening night of International Exposure whetted my appetite for a festival full of Israeli contemporary dance, and now I’m ready for the first whole day of programming. And it will indeed be a whole day – events are running from 11:00 a.m. until about 10:oo p.m.!
I saw Yasmeen Godder’s Singular Sensation when it premiered in June, and I’m eager to view this intense work again when it starts our morning. Next on the program is dance scholar Gaby Aldor, who will present a lecture on dance in Israel. I often found myself reading her articles as I began my research on the subject, so I’m quite excited to hear her speak.
Today will also feature two mixed bills from the annual Curtain Up Festival, which is one of the main platforms for premieres in Israel. In this year’s Curtain Up 3, we’ll see two collaborations: Bloody Disco by Yossi Berg & Oded Graf, and Reversi by Odelya Kuperberg & Sahar Azimi. Tonight we’ll also view Curtain Up 2, with It Rains Inside (Rachel Erdos), Post-Martha (Niv Sheinfeld & Oren Laor with the participation of Ronit Ziv), and La femme 1, La femme 2 (Ronit Ziv).
In between the two selections from the Curtain Up Festival, we’ll be treated to a showing of Ov by Renana Raz & Ofer Amram. Inspired by S. Ansky’s play The Dybbuk, Ov premiered at the Israel Festival in June. I attended its first performance in Jerusalem and am looking forward to seeing it here in Tel Aviv at the Inbal Hall!
See below for more video and links.
(Video: Post-Martha, by Niv Sheinfeld and Oren Laor with the participation of Ronit Ziv)
Related Articles on Dance In Israel
- “Close Encounters Series: Yasmeen Godder”
- “Israel’s Curtain Up Festival: ‘Another Op’ning, Another Show’ for Contemporary Dance”
- “Niv Sheinfeld and Oren Laor: An Interview with Dramatic Dancemakers (Podcast)”
- “Renana Raz: Choreographing Israeli Culture and Beyond (Podcast)”
- “Viewing an Israeli Vision with Diasporic Eyes: A Look at Renana Raz’s ‘We Have Been Called to Go'”
- “Sahar Azimi Speaks about Choreography and Contemporary Dance (Podcast)”
Links to Companies and Choreographers
- Rachel Erdos
- Sahar Azimi
- Yossi Berg and Oded Graf
- Yasmeen Godder
- Odelya Kuperberg
- Renana Raz
- Niv Sheinfeld and Oren Laor
- Ronit Ziv